Optical instruments are some of the most delicate and expensive car parts. Unfortunately, headlights often fail and the reasons may be diverse:
- Mechanical damage due to accidents or stones that hit your car from under the wheels of a car ahead of you.
- Corrosion of the reflector that occurs due to moisture inside the headlight.
- Clouding of the glass due to mechanical damage or improperly selected lamps.
Of course, there are lots of others reasons, anyway, you should know how to tackle them.
So, the easiest way is to replace the headlight with all its components, but you will agree that is a waste of money. Still, there is a way for you to repair the headlight on your own without any car detailing, and here is the technology of headlight restoration.
1. First, remove the headlight from the vehicle. Before it is necessary to disconnect all cables and remove the light bulb. It will help you prevent any other damages during the headlight restoration.
2. The headlight must be cleaned from dirt and chemicals. Then, remove the glass. You can not put a lot of efforts onto the glass, otherwise it may crack, and all the work will come to nothing. Once all of the sealant is cleaned off, the glass should be easy to separate from the body.
3. Try to replace the broken item, which can be a reflector. Then, carefully place degrease glass connections and lights, blow out all the dust from the reflector, remove the moisture.
4. Evenly apply sealant, stick it to glass, secure in this position and leave to dry for a day.
5. As soon as the light is dry, again carefully inspect it and install on the car, connect the wires, insert the bulb and check the operation. The headlight restoration is successfully finished.
To cap it up, remember that to replace the cracked glass at a car detailing company is best option. Headlight restoration is something they do on a daily basis and know how to perform a quality job. While the headlight restoration on your own is also an option but it is dangerous both for the driver and for other road users in case something during the repair process goes wrong.